Thursday, April 12, 2012

Student Shenanigans: Making me Laugh =)

One of the best things about being a teacher is the students and some of their silly shenanigans.  There are days when they do the goofiest things in class and I can't help but take a moment to die of laughter...My goal is to share some of those moments here.  Though some of them will be (you had to be there moments) trust me when I say they were funny and the time and that it probably made my day!

11 April 2012:
-A student in class asks me if I knew what it looked like when giraffes fought something.  I looked at him puzzled, answered with "no?" and waited for his response.  He then grabbed a water bottle, placed it on his desk, and with perfect giraffe like precision craned his neck down and knocked the water bottle over with his head in one swift motion...Most teachers would have moved on, gave him a dirty look, or would have stood there puzzled not getting the joke.  Me?  I laughed so hard I cried.  Just one of the many joys of teaching =).


Last Semester:
-Students were taking an in class essay.  When students finished they were asked to sit quietly and read or  work on something from another class.  As I was scanning the room looking at the students I saw one of them in the back of the room with his hand partially in the air, his one eye was squinted, and he kept pinching his fingers together and then slightly chuckling.  At first I was puzzled by what this kid was doing, but then I realized...he was "squishing" his classmates heads, metaphorically of course.  I then started laughing.  I wrote him a note on a sticky that said "as long as you don't squish me from the back of the room I won't tell your secret" he then gave me the biggest smile and said he wouldn't. It was so fun from then on because I would partake in "squishing" kids and he knew, it was like a great joke between us.  The best part?  This was a very shy quiet, larger boy who didn't have many friends and didn't talk much in class.  I think having this silly secret made him enjoy the class much better, he ended up speaking out more in class and talking to me everyday...the little things matter.


Last Semester:  This is probably one of my most favoriet memories of last semester.  There is a rumor about my CT's class that there are rubberband wars.  Now I can neither confirm nor deny these claims but I will tell you a story passed down about Mrs. Cheetah and her student teacher Ms. Norway.  Now Ms. Cheetah had great aim when it came to shooting rubberbands and her student knew the rules, below the head only and if the kids took it beyond that the fun would be taken away for good.  Well one day, the student teacher, Ms. Norway decided to start a war in class and kids who weren't paying attention were finding rubberbands landing on their desks or in their laps.  and they would laugh and shoot them back.  But Ms. Norway  had one student who sometimes couldn't help but try to take the game too far and Ms. Norway watched him pull back the rubberband ready to fling it and Ms. Norway knew it was going to hurt if it hit her.  So she warned him he'd better not, and he did, and suddenly the class went dead silent.  Little did this student know Ms. Norway played softball her whole life and catching things flying at her face is no big deal.  She caught the rubberband out of thin air without even looking at it.  Seriously, she was writing some notes into her calendar, head facing down and caught the rubberband that was careening in from her left.  Just to rub it in she held it there dangling it between her fingers as she finished writing.  Needless to say no one wanted to shoot Ms. Norway again, they were all afraid of her ninja skills.  This came in handy for her at the end of school in December when she started a paper snowball fight, again students tried to throw as hard as they could at Ms. Norway and she caught them all and threw back with a lot of force.  The student' LOVED this.  It was so fun having harmless fun watching paper balls fly and enjoying our last days together in December..Ahem I mean with Ms. Norway that is =)!

12 April 2010:
-"Ms. Sorben, that's straight dignent.?" " Umm, I am not familiar with dignenet?  What's that?"  " Oh, you know, damn ignorant, I like to smush words together, it saves me time talking." 

Ha...students can be so creative sometimes =)!

No comments:

Post a Comment