Tuesday, April 17, 2012

CST Testing

Today marks the first day of CST's at my school site Great Oak High School.  Now, this is not the first time that I proctoring a test; this is probably the 100th time.  Most recently I proctored the CAHSEE at GOHS.  The students were all placed in the auditorium and gym.  Students remained quiet the entire time and really seemed to be working hard, reading and re-reading questions and checking their answers.  However, there was a very different feel to starting the CST's today.  Students were not excited about the test (though I expected as much) but also, students were hostile towards even having to take it.  Not understanding how this test applies or even matters to them.  Myself and my CT tried to explain the importance of these tests to the students.  We shared with them that this is how the state measures how students are doing in comparison to other schools.  We also explained the importance of how the scores are reflected for the teachers and the school.  My CT discussed the importance of having pride in ones school and taking the test seriously.  We also explained that these scores are put into their portfolios and if they improve a level, the teacher will raise their classroom grade.  Most of the students just shook their heads but agreed and began the test.  Many are currently still testing as I reflect on this.  The point of this reflection however is to talk about 2 students in particular and about their attitudes towards the CST. These students, pseudonyms Jack and Jill, made it very clear from the beginning of the period that they would NOT be taking this test seriously despite the plight of my CT.  They said that on every test like this they simply bubble in answers making pictures and do not care what kind of results they receive.  While reading the test instructions, which we all know written extremely cheesy, even cheesier when read aloud, I tried to emphasize the goofiness of the instructions in my voice just to make the tedious, brutal task of testing a little more fun.  Even this jovial fun reading did not inspire Jack and Jill to take the test seriously.  So I pose a question to my readers...How DO we get these students to take it seriously?  Should we just let it go?  Is there something YOU have said that's worked?  IS there something you have seen another teacher do that works well?  IS this something we should even care about?  I am really interested in everyone's opinion so please leave me comments.

1 comment:

  1. Hi Mallory,

    That is an interesting dilemma. I said something to a student the other day: I said, I'm trying my hardest so could you try your hardest? It worked. I think that if these students understand your hard work in teaching them, they might think about it being unfair that all your hard work isn't shown if they don't try on these tests. It can be really difficult, but you can't give up on these students. You definitely should care.

    ReplyDelete